NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Beijing, China / 259
From the Top comes to you this week from Beijing China for the second of two shows taped at the Central Conservatory of Music. Among highlights, you’ll hear a fantastic 13-year-old ehru player perform “Sunshine on Taxkorgan”by Chen Gang and an 11-year-old violinist from Brunei perform Haydn backed by the Great Wall Soloists conducted by Kurt Sassmannshaus.
Performers & Repertoire
- I. Allegro moderato from the Violin Concerto in G major, Hob.VIIa:4 by Franz Joseph Haydn with the Great Wall Soloists. Kurt Sassmannshaus, conductor.
- 1.Allegro moderato from the Concerto No.1 in B-flat Major for Violin and Orchestra, K.207 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with the Great Wall Soloists. Kurt Sassmannshaus, conductor.
- “Sunshine on Taxkorgan” by Chen Gang
- The Great Wall String Quartet | Yabing Tan (23), violin, Lin Haoli (23), violin, Guo Yi Tong (19), viola, and Bryant Tjahjono Gozali (19), cello; with Christopher O'Riley, pianoI.Allegro brillantefrom the Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op.44, by Robert Schumann
- Etude in A minor, Op.25, No.11 by Frédéric Chopin
- Monday, March 24, 2014
- Monday, July 1, 2013
- Monday, November 12, 2012
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.