NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Bogotá, Colombia / 255
What do young musicians who come from the edge of the Amazon rain forest, the sophisticated big city of Bogotá, and the villages and towns in-between have in common? An incredible music education system and one of the top youth orchestras in the Americas! This week, From the Top comes to you from the Teatro Mayor Julio Mario Santo Domingo in Bogotá, Colombia, where you’ll hear amazing performances by the Colombian Youth Philharmonic and one of the nation’s flagship Orff ensembles.
This episode is dedicated to the memory of Maestro Matthew Hazelwood.
Performers & Repertoire
- Filarmónica Joven de Colombia“Batalla Imperial” from “Tiento del Primer Tono y Batalla Imperial” by Cristóbal Halffter
- Filarmónica Joven de Colombia and Christopher O’Riley, pianovariations 19–24 from the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43, by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Filarmónica Joven de ColombiaDeath and Transfiguration, Op.24 by Richard Strauss
- Allegro Ensemble“El Abrazo” by Gustavo Adolfo Renjifo, arr. Martha Sofía Rivera
- Allegro Ensemble“Te Olvidé” by Antonio María Peñaloza, arr. Martha Sofía Rivera
- Filarmónica Joven de Colombia“Colombia Tierra Querida”
- Monday, October 14, 2013
- Monday, April 1, 2013
- Monday, September 17, 2012
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.