NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Highlight Show 25
Featuring nearly twice as much music as From the Top’s regular episodes, this highlights program celebrates some of the best performances by young people From the Top has presented over the past couple of seasons. An irresistibly charming 11-year-old violinist performs the music of Claude Debussy, a teenage soprano describes her charmed meeting with the great opera diva, Renee Fleming, and we’ll hear one of the greatest young trumpet players we’ve ever had on the program perform Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue.
Performers & Repertoire
- Allegro vivo, from the Sonata in G minor for Violin and Piano by Claude Debussy
- Sonata in D major, K.53 by Domenico Scarlatti
- Prelude No. 8, “Un reflet dans le vent,” by Olivier Messiaen
- Rhapsody in Blue for Trumpet and Piano by George Gershwin, arr. Timofei Dokshitser
- Humoresque, Op.5 by Mstislav Rostropovich and Requiem, Op.66, for three cellos and piano by David Popper
- Requiem, Op.66, for three cellos and piano by David Popper with cellists Taeguk Mun and Matt Haimovitz
- Emily Helenbrook, 17, soprano“O luce di quest’anima” (Oh! star that guid’st my fervent love) from the Linda di Chamounix by Gaetano Donizetti
- “The Stars & Stripes Forever” by John Phillip Sousa, arr. John Kuzma
- Monday, October 19, 2015
- Monday, October 17, 2016
- Monday, December 11, 2017
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.