Honolulu, HI / 113
This week’s show comes to you from the historic Hawaii Theater in Honolulu, where you’ll meet outstanding young performers, all from the islands. You’ll hear a 13-year-old harpist play the Handel Harp Concerto, a teenage chamber ensemble perform the first movement of the Mendelssohn Piano Trio No. 1, and an 18-year-old pianist play Liszt’s La Campanella. Also, Roving Reporter Hayley Goldbach will try to explain to that pianist why he should reconsider his dream of leaving paradise in order to come to Boston for his education.
Performers & Repertoire
- Harp Concerto, Op.4, No.6, HWV 294, I. Andante-Allegro by George Frideric Handel
- Piano Trio No.1 in D minor, Op.49, 2nd mvt. by Felix Mendelssohn
- La Campanella by Franz Liszt
- “Kiho’alu” by Gabby Pahinui, arranged by Ozzie Kotani
- Bassoon Concerto in E minor, III. Allegro by Antonio Vivaldi
- Monday, February 21, 2005
- Monday, August 8, 2005
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.