NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Mesa, Arizona / Show 269
This week, From the Top is at the Mesa Arts Center in Mesa, Arizona where you’ll hear a 15-year-old violinist play a piece by Zoltn Kodly and a 14-year-old pianist play Prokofiev. Also, you’ll enjoy a setting of a poem by Walt Whitman composed by a 17-year-old and performed by the Phoenix Children’s Chorus. Audio for this show will be available on the right starting April 8.
Performers & Repertoire
- IV. Molto Allegro fromÊthe Sonata in E-flat for Clarinet and Piano, Op.167 by CamilleÊSaint-Sans
- III. Allegro Molto Vivace from the Sonata for Solo Cello, Op.8 by Zoltn Kodly
- Sonata No.3 in D minor for Violin and Piano, Op.108 by Johannes Brahms
- III. Allegro con brio, ma non leggiere from Sonata No.4 in C minor, Op.29 by Sergei Prokofiev
- "O Captain! My Captain!" by composer Trey Pernell, 17
- Phoenix Children's Chorus"Angels Watchin' Over Me," trad. spiritual, with additional words and music by Greg Gilpin, accompanied by Lori Woods, piano
- "O Captain! My Captain!"
Beyond the Concert Hall
Giving Back to the Arizona Community (http://greenroom.fromthetop.org/2013/03/29/giving-back-to-the-arizona-community/)
- Monday, September 23, 2013
- Monday, April 8, 2013
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.