NPR’s From the Top : Atlanta, GA / Show 370
This week’s From the Top is a special program celebrating Jewish contributions to classical music featuring concert pianist Lara Downes as our guest host. We’ll hear a 14-year-old share what it’s like to grow up in a Korean and Jewish household, a new piece by a Jewish-American teenage composer gets its broadcast debut, and a spectacular 18-year-old clarinetist performs a movement from Leonard Bernstein’s Sonata for Clarinet and Piano.
- Guest Host: Lara Downes
Lara Downes is among the foremost American pianists of her generation, an iconoclast dedicated to expanding the resonance and relevance of American music for diverse audiences.
Performers & Repertoire
- III. Jewish Song from “From Jewish Life” for Cello and Piano by Ernest Bloch (1880-1959), with Lara Downes, piano.
- Figaro Variations on Rossini’s ‘Barber of Seville’ by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895-1968), edited by Jascha Heifetz, with Lara Downes, piano.
- I. Intermezzo and II. Mazurka from Arabesques for Piano by Alexandre Tansman (1897-1986)
- “Three Views” for Piano Quartet by Benjamin Beckman Performed by: Takumi Taguchi, violin; Jackie Liu, viola; Sarah Kave, cello; Ben Beckman, piano
- II. Andantino - Vivace e leggiero from the Sonata for Clarinet and Piano by Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990), with Lara Downes, piano.
- Monday, June 3, 2019
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
Benjamin Beckman’s appearance on From the Top is supported by ASCAP Foundation Irving Caesar Fund
Lara Downes is a Yamaha Artist.
Lara Downes is an artist represented by CADENZA ARTISTS LLC, 12021 Wilshire Blvd #710, Los Angeles, CA 90025.www.CadenzaArtists.com.