NPR’s From the Top: Beaver Creek, CO / Show 364
From the Vilar Performing Arts Center in Beaver Creek, Colorado, this week’s From the Top features the ground-breaking violinist Charles Yang as the guest host. He’ll share the stage with a joyful teenager whose winning personality propelled her to take home the gold medal at the prestigious 2018 Stulberg International String Competition. We’ll also meet a young erhu player, an instrument known to some as the “Chinese violin”, who plays “Taichi Warrior of Erhu” by Chen Jun.
Performers & Repertoire
- “Carmen Fantasie” by Franz Waxman (1906-1967) with Guest Artist Peter Dugan, piano.
- Tai Ji Qin Xia (Taichi Warrior of Erhu), by Chen Jun (b. 1968).
- III. Salmon Lake from Sonata “Three Lakes” for Flute and Piano by Daniel Dorff (b. 1956)with Guest Artist Peter Dugan, piano. Scott’s performance is part of From the Top’s New Music Series.
- I. India from Libra Sonatine by Roland Dyens (1955-2016).
- Paraphrase on Figaro’s Aria from Rossini’s “Barber of Seville” by Grigory Ginzburg (1904-1961).
- "Loopy" by Charles Yang
- Monday, February 18, 2019
- Monday, September 23, 2019
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
The Christie Lodge
Scott Quirk’s performance is part of From the Top’s New Music Series, supported in part by the Amphion Foundation and the Aaron Copland Fund for Music.