NPR’s From the Top: Interlochen, MI / Show 368
From the Corson Auditorium at Interlochen Center for the Arts, this week’s From the Top features a cast made up entirely by students of the renowned high school. Film and television actor Damon Gupton is our guest host and sets the stage for a young tubist who performs a virtuosic concerto backed by the full orchestra, a group of seven percussionists perform the aptly titled work “Shared Space”, and a 17-year-old cellist passionately performs a beautiful work by Tchaikovsky.
- Guest Host: Damon Gupton
Actor Damon Gupton, known for appearing in TV series including Criminal Minds, Bates Motel and Black Lightning, as well as films such as La La Land and Whiplash, is also an accomplished orchestral conductor.
- Pianist: Michelle Cann
Concert pianist and From the Top alumna Michelle Cann is a young artist with a deep musical commitment to performing a wide range of repertoire throughout the US and to bringing the arts to local communities.
Performers & Repertoire
- I. Prelude. Allegro moderato from the Tuba Concerto by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958)
- Pezzo Capriccioso by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893), with Michelle Cann, piano
- Shared Space by Ivan Trevino (b.1983)
- Selections from Swan Lake, Op. 20 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893), conducted by guest host, Damon Gupton
- II. Allegro scherzando from the Sonata for Bassoon and Piano by Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921), with Michelle Cann, piano
- Danzón No. 2 by Arturo Márquez (b.1950), conducted by Dr. Leslie B. Dunner
- Monday, May 6, 2019
- Monday, November 18, 2019
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
The Interlochen Percussion Ensemble’s appearance is supported by Associated Chamber Music Players (ACMP)