NPR’s From the Top: Los Angeles, CA / Show 367
Recorded in the Hollywood Scoring Studio in Los Angeles, we meet a fantastic 15-year-old pianist who loves Disney so much she can name every ride just by listening to their soundtrack! We also meet a prize-winning string quartet who performs Mendelssohn’s second string quartet and a teenage saxophone player from Texas plays a virtuosic work by a 20th-century composer.
- Guest Host: Pianist Peter Dugan
Prizing versatility as the key to the future of classical music, pianist Peter Dugan is equally at home in classical, jazz, and pop idioms.
Performers & Repertoire
- L'Isle joyeuse by Claude Debussy (1862-1918).
- Sonata in D minor, Op.27, No.3 "Ballade" by Eugène Ysaÿe (1858-1931).
- I. Adagio - Allegro Vivace from String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 13 by Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847).
- II. Andante and III. Presto from Divertimento for Alto Saxophone and Piano by Roger Boutry (b.1932), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- "Capriccio" by Lukas Foss (1922-2009), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- Sonata No.3 in A minor, Op.28, by Sergei Prokofiev (1891-1953)
- Monday, April 22, 2019
- Monday, November 11, 2019
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Bear Quartet’s appearance is supported by Associated Chamber Music Players (ACMP)