NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania / Show 344
From East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, this week’s From the Top features more than 100 young musicians from across Mainland China in their first ever public performance as the National Youth Orchestra of China under the direction of Maestro Ludovic Morlot. We hear the full ensemble perform “Rhyme of Taigu” by Pulitzer-Prize-winning composer Zhou Long, a young clarinetist shares how he fell in love with the clarinet’s sound at his first concert, and five members of the ensemble perform the energetic first movement of Francis Poulenc’s Sextet for Piano and Wind Quintet with Christopher O’Riley.
Performers & Repertoire
- "Rhyme of Taigu" by Zhou Long (b.1953).
- Fantaisie Italienne by Eugene Bozza (1905-1991), with Christopher O'Riley, piano.
- Yajie Wang (flute), 18, Jiadi Pei (oboe), 19, Huibin Zou (clarinet), 19, Yuanying Zhang (bassoon), 19, Lei Jin (horn), 18Members of NYO China perform the first movement, Allegro Vivace, from the Sextet for Piano and Wind Quintet, FP 100 by Francis Poulenc (1899-1963), with host Christopher O'Riley, piano.
- Members of the Sextet Include:
- III. Molto vivace, from Symphony No.9, Op.95 "From the New World" by Antonín Dvořák (1841-1904)
- IV. Presto agitato, from the Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3, Op. 108 by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897), with Christopher O’Riley, piano.
- "Thunder in Drought" by Xiaogang Ye (b. 1955)
- Monday, November 13, 2017
- Monday, May 21, 2018
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.