NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Purchase, New York / Show 343
From Purchase, New York, this week’s From the Top highlights the 115 incredible young musicians that make up Carnegie Hall’s National Youth Orchestra of the USA. Featured on the program are four performances by the full ensemble under Maestra Marin Alsop including an adrenaline-inducing performance of John Adams’ “Short Ride in a Fast Machine” and a newly-commissioned work by composer Gabriela Lena Frank.
Performers & Repertoire
- "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" by John Adams (b.1947)
- II. Kräftig bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell from Symphony No. 1 "The Titan" by Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
- Evan Johanson, violin; Andrew Kim, violin; Kayla Cabrera, viola; Isabel Won, cello; Christopher O'Riley, pianoIII. Scherzo from the Piano Quintet in G Minor Op. 57 by Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975)
- I. Allegro giocoso from the Sonata for Flute and Piano by Jindřich Feld (1925-2007) with Christopher O'Riley, piano
- Apu: Tone Poem for Orchestra by Gabriela Lena Frank (b.1972)
- Finale - Conga del Fuego Nuevo by Arturo Márquez (b.1950)
- Monday, October 30, 2017
- Monday, May 7, 2018
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation