NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley Rochester, New York / 284
This week, From the Top broadcasts from Eastman School of Music, where special guest Sir James Galway joins us to lead an ensemble of young wind players and to tell us why he’s devoting so much of his time to teaching the next several generations of flutists. You’ll also hear from a young violinist who is working on building a smartphone app to help teachers and students track practice time.
Performers & Repertoire
- At the Fountain, Op. 20, No. 2 by Carl Davidoff, accompanied by Christopher O'Riley, piano
- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 13 in A minor by Franz Liszt, transcr. by Aracadi Volodos
- Sir James Galway and the Eastman School/Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra Wind EnsembleScherzo from Petite Symphonie by Charles Gounod
- Grand Caprice on Schubert's Der Erlkönig by Heinrich Ernst
- "Adele's Laughing Song" from Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss, accompanied by Christopher O'Riley, piano
- Sir James Galway and the Eastman School/Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra Wind Ensemble,The fourth movement, Finale, from Petite Symphonie by Charles Gounod
- Monday, September 1, 2014
- Monday, March 31, 2014
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation