NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Troy, New York / 260
In this week’s cello-centric episode, one of the master cellists of our time, Matt Haimovitz, performs with our teenage musicians. Among highlights, you’ll hear a performance of David Popper’s Requiem played by Matt Haimovitz, Christopher O’Riley, and two fantastic teenage cellists, and in a grand finale, all of the cellists on today’s show come together to perform “Open Country Joy” by John McLaughlin.
Performers & Repertoire
- “In the Style of Albeniz” by Rodion Shchedrin
- “Empty Room” by Arcade Fire, arr. O’Riley
- Haimovitz's Cello Quartet | Matt Haimovitz, cello, Miriam Liske-Doorandish (18), cello, Taeguk Mun (18), cello, and Christopher O'Riley, pianoRequiem, Op.66 , for three cellos and piano by David Popper
- Humoresque, Op.5 by Mstislav Rostropovich
- Haimovitz's Cello Quintet | Matt Haimovitz, cello, Miriam Liske-Doorandish (18), cello, Taeguk Mun (18), cello, Leana Rutt, cello, and Bryan Holt, cello“Open Country Joy” For Five Cellos by John McLaughlin, arr. David Sanford
- Monday, January 6, 2014
- Monday, July 8, 2013
- Monday, December 3, 2012
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.